Saturday, February 23, 2008

Catholicism. I don’t believe in it, but I sure love it.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
When I think about organized religion, I usually think about how stupid it is. First of all, I don’t have a problem with people having a spiritual side and even believing in a higher deity, what I do have a problem with is all the nonsense that it has created. By nonsense I mean religion, organized nonsense.

So when I watched Constantine, one of my favorite movies, I came up with a personal conclusion. Even though I hate religion and I don’t believe in any of what it says, I have to admit one thing. From all the religions in the world, the Roman Catholic one is probably the coolest.

It incorporates everything that makes anything cool. Last time I checked there wasn’t a Protestant based movie that had as much action and thrill as Constantine did. The movie had demons, exorcisms and a cool dude who kicked a whole lot of ass and smoked a whole lot of cigarettes. The lore itself makes the religion really cool. It’s like the only religion that has dark secrets and will kill to keep them secret. Its the rebels of religions.

I mean what other institution has people taking demons out of little girls and then shooting them down with a gun. I know, I know, there’s religions out there that have exorcisms too, but for some reason, Catholicism has this mystery to it, this obscurity to it that makes for great films.

So basically, what I mean to say is, thank you. Thanks to all the pedophilic priest, all the corrupt bishops in the Vatican and the all images of the Virgin Mary that appear in both sandwiches and windows. Those are the things that keep this religion rolling strong and inspiring great movies.

If you don’t believe me, watch Constantine. If you don’t like that movie, watch The DaVinci Code or V for Vendetta. They’re great examples of what I’m talking about.

No comments: